Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Video Games and Art

Art has always played a big role in my life.

Art-related games like Art Academy or Pixel Maker, or those for making animations like Flipnote or Inchworm Animation are some of my particular favorites- as evidenced by my 3DS's time-log.

I also enjoy drawing with other materials, especially colored pencils. Prismacolor is my favorite brand to work with.

Fan-art is a way for me to combine my loves, hopefully offer a new take or different perspective on things shown before, and share my work with others.
Admittedly, the majority of my work is Pokémon-based, but it's what I enjoy doing the most. There are so many different Pokémon designs currently out, it provides a lot of material to work with.

Chicken-Man and the Masters of the Barnyard
Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons are another source of inspiration for me, usually when a new game is coming out and the fan-communities I'm a part of are speculating on what new characters or features are going to be present.

It can be fun to incorporate are into games like Animal Crossing or its Happy Home Designer spinoff where you have the opportunity to design clothing and houses for the characters that appear in-game.

Beyond pure enjoyment, art is also a way for me to relieve stress. It makes me happy to see projects through to completion, especially when they turn out well. I like drawing for other people, and being able to make them happy through my work.
Video game characters enjoy drawing, too!

I don't always work on big projects, either; just doodling little things can be a lot of fun, too. I once drew all of the Generation 1 Pokémon from memory; that turned out about as well as you can probably imagine, but my friends and I still look back on that from time to time and laugh about it.



Basing my art on the video games I play adds another level of depth to the enjoyment I get from both of those activities. I hope for both of them to be things that I can continue to enjoy for a long time.




2 comments: