Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Tamagotchi P1 & P2 Re-Release

I finally got the chance to try out the new Tamagotchi P1 & P2. I couldn't find them in any nearby stores and nobody knew when they'd be in, so I ended up ordering them off of Amazon instead. The good part about that, though, was that I was able to get the exact colors I wanted!

Starting off, I love the box art! It really brings back the feel of the 90s release. I've always loved the look of the vintage designs. If you'd like to get a closer look, you can see some high-quality box scans here!

The Tamagotchis themselves are nice-looking for the most part. I didn't have any problems, but some people have said they've had issues with the quality of some of the painted-on shell designs. Try and get a closer look at them before buying, if you can.

The interior of the international release is different from both the original release and the recent Japanese re-release. Someone took apart and reassembled one of the new ones to see what what going on on the inside. The international versions seem to use springs instead of wires for connection with the speaker. This seems a little more solid than wires since they would be harder to break, but they also seem to provide a lower quality of sound. They sound okay for the most part, if a little muffled, but sometimes the sound gets a little bit screechy.


 One nice thing about this release is that it only uses one screw and takes one CR-2032 battery vs. the two screws and two smaller batteries that the originals used. The buttons also feel a lot more responsive than before. There are a few other small differences listed out here, but they were left pretty similar to the old ones.

Despite a few small issues, this seems like a pretty nice release. I'm loving all the new shell designs, and I'm hoping this leads to more refined releases of the other vintage models as well.